There are a number of published reports indicating that the House and Senate have reached an agreement to extend SCHIP along the lines of the earlier bi-partisan Senate agreement.
That would mean a $35 billion SCHIP expansion paid for entirely be a new 61 cent tobacco tax.
Bush says he would veto such a deal. While the Senate seems veto proof on this one, the House is another matter.
If Bush is successful in vetoing the latest compromise, then we will see a temporary extension of SCHIP and the longer-term solution will be booted to the year-end budget work where it is now certain that the Medicare Advantage payments and the upcoming 10% Medicare physician fee cut will be dealt with.
There is a real chance that there will be a huge budget showdown between the Democratic-led Congress and the President late in the year throwing all of these issues into doubt.
Those of you who read this blog know that this is what we have been predicting.
Earlier post and SCHIP history: SCHIP Negotiations Not Going Well--Medicare Physician Fee Cuts and Medicare Advantage Payments Hang in the Balance
A Health Care Reform Blog––Bob Laszewski's review of the latest developments in federal health policy, health care reform, and marketplace activities in the health care financing business.
Monday, September 17, 2007
SCHIP Agreement "Near"
Avoid having to check back. Subscribe to Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review and receive an email each time we post.
- ► 2020 (25)
- ► 2017 (33)
- ► 2016 (27)
- ► 2015 (26)
- ► 2014 (36)
- ► 2013 (48)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (36)
- ► 2009 (161)
- ► 2008 (151)
- The GM-UAW Deal--If UAW Workers Can No Longer Coun...
- If the $35 Billion Expansion of SCHIP is About Mo...
- Who's More Frustrated With Bush Over His SCHIP Vet...
- Health Wonk Review is Up!
- Medicare Advantage Cuts Still on the Table to Offs...
- Hillary Clinton's Health Plan
- SCHIP Agreement "Near"
- Hillary Clinton's Health Plan--the Republicans Bet...
- SCHIP Negotiations Not Going Well--Medicare Physic...
- Hillary Clinton to Outline Her Health Plan on Mond...
- The UAW's Negotiations With the "Big Three" Automa...
- Health Insurance Premiums Rose Only 6.1% in 2007--...
- Jane Sarasohn-Kahn Joins the Blog World
- Could America Reap International Good Will By Ramp...
- The Cavalcade of Risk Is Up
- Schwarzenegger is Right––You Can't Achieve Univers...
- The Obesity Epidemic--It's Time to Deal With it th...
- People Who Say Insurance Regulation Creates More U...
- How Will SCHIP Be Extended and What Will Happen to...
- Health Wonk Review is UP
- Romney Wants to Reform State Health Insurance Regu...
- Mitt Romney's Health Plan--A Foot in Each Canoe
- "Don't Pit Children Against Seniors"--The AHIP Tak...
- ▼ September (23)