In the post below, I reviewed the need to reauthorize the very successful State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP).
The Congress will have a real challenge coming up with the needed money--$13 billion to $15 billion. Finding the money will be hard because of the House Democrat's pledge to fully fund any spending--their "pay-as-you-go" policy.
Where will the money come from?
First, the Congress will be looking for President Bush to make the first move in his upcoming budget message.
It is possible a final deal will rework the existing state formula. The current formula leaves a lot of money in state accounts that is unused. That money could be freed up and reallocated to the states that need it. But, that won't come close to paying the whole bill.
Then there is the $3 billion still sitting in the Medicare Advantage stabilization fund. You will recall that the last Congress took $7 billion out in December to fund the Medicare physician fees and avoiding the automatic cut they were facing.
That last $3 billion is there for the plucking and I will bet you it's going to get plucked!!!
Avoid having to check back. Subscribe to Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review and receive an email each time we post.
- ► 2017 (32)
- ► 2016 (27)
- ► 2015 (26)
- ► 2014 (36)
- ► 2013 (48)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (36)
- ► 2009 (161)
- ► 2008 (151)
- Medicare Advantage Payments to Insurers Will Be Cu...
- The Individual Health Insurance Market Isn't Ready...
- It's the Cost of Health Care Stupid!!!
- Is the Bush Health Plan Tilted Too Far In Favor of...
- Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and The Massachuset...
- The Bush Health Care Plan and U.S. Health Care Ref...
- More on the Bush Health Plan
- New Bush Health Plan Proposal to Be Announced in S...
- SCHIP Reauthorization--Will Medicare HMOs Pay for ...
- Back to "Regular Order"--The House Medicare Part D...
- Grassley and Baucus Key to Any Drug Negotiation Co...
- The House Part D Drug Negoatiation Debate is Heati...
- Health Care Trend Falling
- Good for the Governor of California!!!!
- More on the Democratic Part D Drug Negotiation Deb...
- HMO Stocks Fall on Medicare Advantage Worries---Wh...
- Bravo Kaiser Permanente!--As the Insurance Industr...
- The Democrats' Hollow Part D Proposal
- More Trouble for Humana's Part D Program
- The New Congress––Sniping or Civility?
- Health Care Middlemen––Don't Forget Value!
- ▼ January (21)