I was quoted in the Washington Post today reiterating my concern that the House Part D drug negoatiation bill is a hollow political charade on the part of the Dems:
"The federal government can get lower prices, but only if it's willing to exclude a certain number of drugs from the formulary," said Robert Laszewski, a nonpartisan health policy consultant in Washington. "And that's a huge political leap that I would be very surprised if this Congress took. I don't think they are going to give CMS any teeth."
Even former CMS head, Mark McClellan, no enemy of the drug industry, sees it falling way short of what the Veterans Administration is able to do to control their drug costs:
"It's apples to oranges," former CMS administrator Mark B. McClellan said of the comparison. "The VA is a closed health-care system relying on mail order and a tighter formulary than Medicare beneficiaries have shown they prefer."
You can see the full story--which is very well done and balanced--in today's Washington Post (link at top of post).
I also had two more comprenhensive posts on the issue that you can read below (January 8th).
Avoid having to check back. Subscribe to Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review and receive an email each time we post.
- ► 2016 (19)
- ► 2015 (26)
- ► 2014 (36)
- ► 2013 (48)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (36)
- ► 2009 (161)
- ► 2008 (151)
- Medicare Advantage Payments to Insurers Will Be Cu...
- The Individual Health Insurance Market Isn't Ready...
- It's the Cost of Health Care Stupid!!!
- Is the Bush Health Plan Tilted Too Far In Favor of...
- Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) and The Massachuset...
- The Bush Health Care Plan and U.S. Health Care Ref...
- More on the Bush Health Plan
- New Bush Health Plan Proposal to Be Announced in S...
- SCHIP Reauthorization--Will Medicare HMOs Pay for ...
- Back to "Regular Order"--The House Medicare Part D...
- Grassley and Baucus Key to Any Drug Negotiation Co...
- The House Part D Drug Negoatiation Debate is Heati...
- Health Care Trend Falling
- Good for the Governor of California!!!!
- More on the Democratic Part D Drug Negotiation Deb...
- HMO Stocks Fall on Medicare Advantage Worries---Wh...
- Bravo Kaiser Permanente!--As the Insurance Industr...
- The Democrats' Hollow Part D Proposal
- More Trouble for Humana's Part D Program
- The New Congress––Sniping or Civility?
- Health Care Middlemen––Don't Forget Value!
- ▼ January (21)