With much fanfare, Medicare (CMS) has stepped up the publicity for its website enabling consumers to compare their local hospitals' quality of care and cost data.
So, I went to it and put in the necessary info for my neighborhood. While a number of hospitals came up, I was able to create a side-by-side analysis for three choices. (I suggest you simply ask for all hospitals within a certain distance from your city and then select the three you want.)
When I asked about the hospitals' results for bypass surgery I got some very impressive information about key hospital and surgical health care process criteria as well as a patient satisfaction survey.
When I asked about the same hospitals' performance for diabetes, far less information came up--this is clearly a work in progress. What they did show was the average Medicare payment to the hospital for diabetes and the number of patients Medicare paid for in that hospital over a year. They also showed the results of a patient customer satisfaction survey on items from pain control to how quiet their room was.
Give the site a try--it's a very positive step forward!
While you're at it, don't forget the American Hospital Directory site that provides significant financial information--including profits--by hospital.
Avoid having to check back. Subscribe to Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review and receive an email each time we post.
- ► 2017 (24)
- ► 2016 (27)
- ► 2015 (26)
- ► 2014 (36)
- ► 2013 (48)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2011 (36)
- ► 2009 (161)
- "Healthcare Guaranteed"--A Health Care "Solution" ...
- AHP Announces a Health Care Reform Initiative and ...
- Childhood Obesity--The Washington Post's Five Part...
- First Year Results in Massachusetts' Health Care R...
- The CMS Website Comparing Hospital Performance Is ...
- Administrative Costs and the Individual Health Ins...
- McCain's Lost Opportunity
- Senator Kennedy's Illness
- "Blendon, Laszewski, And Rovner On Health Care Ref...
- Against Obama, McCain Has a Lot of Ground To Make ...
- Watch the Wyden-Bennett "Healthy Americans Act"--I...
- There Won't Be Any Health Care Reform Without Phys...
- ▼ May (12)
- ► 2007 (235)